Pages

Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Caramel Cake


I was introduced to caramel cake when I started dating Brian a few years back. I did a little research, and this southern treat is traced back to the late 19th Century. The recipe was first published in a cook book in Atlanta about that time. I am of the opinion that it is one of the unsung heros of Southern cooking. Maybe its just people are scared of trying to make it or Paul Deen and Alton Brown haven't featured it on a tv show, who knows? His mom, as I have mentioned before, is an excelent baker (many of the recipes I make, I have begged off of her). She makes a caramel cake for special occasions, and after having it a few times I decided that I needed to learn how to make one. Thankfully, Sally, my mother in law, is also a great teacher. The most challenging part, in my opinion, was learning how to brown the sugar.

No comments:

Post a Comment